I am a thirty-something year old woman who has worked relentlessly for years to be able to proclaim this next sentence. I, LeAnna Gerety, am a self-employed, published, domestic/international wedding and lifestyle photographer. And yes, I smiled the entire time I was typing that! Saying I am an international photographer is the fancy way of wording that I am lucky enough to travel to beautiful locations and document weddings. Its a place I worked extremely hard to get to over nearly ten years of business and I am happy to give myself the proper title!
This is the place in most photographer’s bios where they list when they purchased their first camera, what inspired them and how they love taking photos. My journey has all those moments, but that is not what LTP is built upon. I am fortunate to have earned degrees in Business and Marketing. Through college I had a small event planning business and orchestrated private and professional events for 30 to 300.
After college I entered “the real world” and was able to work at some amazing places. It was never enough for me. I knew it would never be able to make me happy, make my heart feel full.
I decided to revisit making my hobby of over ten years my profession. I took classes, spent hours practicing, made more mistakes than I care to admit, passed up on time with family, events with friends and countless nights of sleep to attempt to perfect my craft. I was blessed to get a mentor and develop relationships with other professionals. I took in every drop of advice they poured out. I learned from their successes and failures and practiced every word they preached to me.
I started out assisting, then second shooting and finally moving up to primary shooter. I have taken my time and developed my skill in the appropriate way. I have invested in stellar equipment and continuing my education. I want my images to tell your story as close to your reality as possible. A posed portrait can be beautiful, but if you are an informal couple a session full of formal portraits doesn’t represent who you are. I feel an image of your child in the midst of a big belly laugh holds more sentimental value over the years than a standard posed studio portrait. This philosophy can be seen and felt in all of my work.
Beyond being a photographer I am a daughter, sister, best friend, cousin and avid volunteer. I am flooded with gratitude that I have created this amazing life. I have had the same friends since I was young and find comfort in moving from one phase of life to the next with the same people by my side. I love good wine, sushi and music.
11 random thoughts and facts from me you probably don’t need to know
- American cheese is the worst food in history. It should be illegal. Gross.
- I have tossed a coin to make several important life decisions.
- I think I’m the funniest person I know. I’m not sure others feel that way about me. They should. I’m hilarious.
- I took my first of many photography courses in high school and worked at our local photo store through those same years. There were periods of time I spent more time in the darkroom than in the light. Somehow I feel sharing this fact ups my cool factor.
- I have a handsome pup named Tucker. He is equal parts insane and lovable. I think I adore him most when he is sleeping. When he is awake he has the energy of a toddler after a great nap, 10 pounds of birthday cake and a RedBull.
- I have three professional, candid photos of myself and my best friend who passed several years ago from a wedding reception. I would pay my life savings twice over for these photos. This is one of the few things that solidified my love and borderline obsession with photography.
- In the 9th grade I was grounded when my family went to Disney. Since there is no way to continue punishment in the happiest place on earth my father wore a women’s purple tank top with Minnie Mouse in a white and pink polka dot dress and made me hold his hand all day. I was 14. To date this was one of the worst days of my life. If you can’t appreciate the humor in this we won’t get along.
- I love New Jersey. I am a serious Jersey girl at heart, a Jersey-Shore girl to be specific. Leopard, big attitude, bigger hair, love for family and friends like no other, pizza, salty air, sandy feet and hoodies you stole from a guy friend and will never give back. That is my kind of happy.
- My very first job was at a place called the Flaming Pit. I stood on Route 9 in a chicken costume and waived. I was 13. I am sure my family and friends were proud.
- I love to dance. By myself, in a big crew of people, in my car, anywhere. My sweet skills can’t be contained to events with a DJ and a dedicated dance floor. My dance moves really aren’t great, but my friend Vodka often tells me they are amazing. I think she is known to be a liar.
- I feel yoga pants were created for the purpose of making it socially acceptable to be lazy and I want to kiss the person who made that possible.